It appears that you don't have JavaScript enabled. Abandoned UE requires the use of JavaScript for the full user experience.
Several parts of the site will fail to work properly with it disabled. We highly recommend that you enable it.
USER »
PASS »
AUTO »
LOGIN
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Tyranite Mine
 

Best described as being the middle of nowhere, that you get to by going into the woods from small-town Ontario for a good hour, the Tyranite Mine site is as remote as it gets. Cell signal is non-existent at the site, meaning any sort of issue has the potential to quickly become disastrous. But, for those willing to make the trek, the site rewards visitors with one of the rare still-standing abandoned headframes in Ontario.

Location attributes for Tyranite Mine
Location   Timiskaming District, Ontario
Built :: Closed   1936 :: 1997
Status   Abandoned
Difficulty   ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
Hazards Risk   ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆
Security Risk   ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
AUE Rating   ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Initially claimed in 1930 by L. O. Hedlund, construction initially took place on the grounds in 1936, with a three compartment shaft sunk to 550'. By 1941, the shaft has reached a depth of 1151', with multiple levels of lateral workings, complete with an inclined winze at the 525'. A mill was constructed to complement the underground workings. However, the mine closed in 1942 due to labour shortages caused by World War II, and despite efforts after the war to reopen, no major work was resumed. The site sat idle to 1988, when a joint venture between Tyranex Gold, Gunner Gold, and Mill City Gold led to a new headframe being constructed and the shaft being de-watered, with sporadic mining resuming in fits in starts until approximately 1997. Since then, save for some exploratory work, the site has been abandoned.

We were able to drive most of the way to the site, encountering a gate roughly 250m out from the headframe. Hiking in the last bit of the road, we were rewarded with a view of the headframe standing tall over the ruins of the surrounding buildings, much like what I had previously encountered at the Centre Hill Mine. Quickly making our way to the headframe, we found that the shaft had a solid concrete cap on it (although, gaps were visible at the edges), but those who had capped it were at least nice enough to leave the cages sitting on top of it for us to see. A check of the hoist room also revealed the hoists themselves in excellent shape, save for the obvious signs of scrapping having been conducted.

Sadly, the mill was no longer standing, with only the foundations remaining. What was surprising, however, was the remains of a second hoist system just up the hill from the mill ruins. We couldn't figure out what this hoist had been used for, as a look around the surrounding area revealed nothing.

For now, the old mine doesn't give up it's underground secrets. Perhaps one day, though, we'll make our way down the old shaft and explore the extensive workings.

 
 
Hoist the Cages! - August 2019 (Non-Public Content)
   
 
 
 
 
© 2006-2019 Abandoned UE v3.0 - Contents may not be reproduced in any form without prior written permission
Design influenced by Ward 7 Studios - Icons by Mark James
 
This Website Collects Private Information & Uses Cookies
Your privacy is of utmost respect to us here at Abandoned UE. We only collect personal information and use cookies to personalize content; we do not share it with any other websites or users. These settings can be updated at any time from the Privacy Page, which also contains a full disclosure of what data is collected.
I consent to the following data collection purposes and cookie usage purposes:
Cookies
Necessary
Advertising
Preferences
Statistics
 
System Data
Necessary
Advertising
Preferences
Statistics
 
OK