It appears that you don't have JavaScript enabled. Abandoned UE requires the use of JavaScript for the full user experience.
Several parts of the site will fail to work properly with it disabled. We highly recommend that you enable it.
USER »
PASS »
AUTO »
LOGIN
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Fisher Body Plant 21
 

Sitting at the corner of Piquette and Hastings is a white seven story building, with most of the windows missing. At first glance, it looks like many other neglected buildings in the Detroit area; but unlike them, this building, the Fisher Body Plant 21, has a much more storied history. And the neighbourhood that it sits in also has far more to it than meets the eye; it was once home to many automotive manufacturing facilities, including the Ford plant that made the first Model T's.

Location attributes for Fisher Body Plant 21
Location   Detroit, Michigan
Built :: Closed   1921 :: 1994
Status   Abandoned
Difficulty   ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
Hazards Risk   ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆
Security Risk   ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆
AUE Rating   ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

The Fisher Body building (Plant 21, not to be confused with Fisher Body Plant 23, located just down Piquette Ave), started out manufacturing Buick and Cadillac bodies, albeit only for a short period of time. When the Great Depression hit, manufacturing ceased at the plant; instead it was utilized as an engineering design facility while simultaneously acting as both a homeless shelter and a soup kitchen.

Once World War II hit, however, the situation changed, and the plant went back into full manufacturing mode, building several aircraft for the war effort, including the Lockheed P-80 and assemblies for the B-25. Following the war, it isn't recorded as to what purpose the plant served until 1956, when it went back to manufacturing Cadillac bodies; a role it served until 1984 when General Motors shuttered the plant.

The plant did see some use beyond 1984 as several paint companies set up shop, but this didn't last long. The plant was completely vacated in 1994, and has sat empty since then. In the subsequent 19 years, the only interesting note is that the ownership of the plant transferred to the City of Detroit in 1999, due to unpaid property taxes.

And, judging from the fact that sections of the building are collapsing from the years of neglect, it's hard to imagine that there is much of a future for the building, other than continuing to sit empty until decay or demolition ultimately have their way.

 
 
Motor City - August 2013
   
 
 
 
 
 
© 2006-2019 Abandoned UE v3.0
Design influenced by Ward 7 Studios - Icons by Mark James
 
This Website Collects Private Information & Uses Cookies
Your privacy is of utmost respect to us here at Abandoned UE. We only collect personal information and use cookies to personalize content; we do not share it with any other websites or users. These settings can be updated at any time from the Privacy Page, which also contains a full disclosure of what data is collected.
I consent to the following data collection purposes and cookie usage purposes:
Cookies
Necessary
Advertising
Preferences
Statistics
 
System Data
Necessary
Advertising
Preferences
Statistics
 
OK